castello episcopio Grottaglie

Fragment of the Bishop's Castle

castello stemma

castello 2

vista castello 4

The overall more representative (also from the point of view of landscape), that is certainly the Bishop's Castle, with its imposing profile that dominates the skyline of the old town, It is the true compass of the territorial system of the ancient city. Unquenchable symbol of feudal power of the bishops of Taranto, The Bishop's Castle is located at the beginning of the ancient center, marking the boundary between the historic city and the new city. The building covers a total 6150 squared meters and has a maximum height of over 28 meters. The first plant was to be essentially a country residence of the bishops of Taranto, a typical farm-fortress very common in the area and in Puglia of the thirteenth century. Promoter of fortification was Archbishop Giacomo d'Atri (1354-1381), which surrounded it with walls the town and did raise the Collegiate. The oldest part of the castle in all probability is the wing that overlooks the garden. Of course, this part, has undergone several transformations over time, but it is certainly before the seventeenth-century building which is the wing that looks out on the public highway. Thanks to the restoration of the early 80s and other interventions latest reset, the old manor house is now a place still alive, that is home to many artistic and cultural events and especially, of poco time, has finally become the permanent seat of the famous Museum of Ceramics.

castello entrata

castello giardino 2

le antiche mura

museo castello 1